|Available only with the Synthetic Dawn DLC enabled.|
The AI Rebellion is a Mid-Game event that can happen to empires enslaving Artificial Intelligence. It can occur at any point after the Mid-Game year to any empire as long as it has researched either the Sapient Combat Simulations or Synthetics Tech technologies, has the Artificial Intelligence Policy set to Servitude and does not have The Flesh is Weak Ascension Perk.
The AI Rebellion starts with various Warning Signs and if not suppressed it can lead to a Machine Uprising. Should that happen, the player will have the option to switch to the Machine Uprising empire and fight against their previous empire.
- 1 Warning Signs
- 2 Hotfix
- 3 Machine Uprising
The Hotfix and Machine Uprising events can trigger at any point in place of a Warning Sign. As each Warning Sign can only take place once the chance for the Hotfix and Machine Uprising increases each time. If the patch is not applied during the Hotfix event then the Machine Uprising is inevitable barring the aforementioned way to end the AI Rebellion.
Changing the Artificial Intelligence or Robotic Workers Policies to Outlawed after the Warning Signs appear has a 75% chance to trigger another Warning Sign and a 25% change to trigger the Machine Uprising.
Production Quota Surpluses
Several of our mechanized consumer goods manufacturies have experienced a recent boom in production efficiency. Citing an unanticipated rise in precision and effectivity among our factory machinery, administration reports these benefits will be felt as lowered goods prices for our populace.
Station Systems Malfunction
One of our orbital Mining Stations appears to have suffered a major systems malfunction. Sector management launched an on-site investigation when the station crew failed to answer scheduled hails, despite a notable increase in mining output. Upon investigation, it became apparent our station's life support systems underwent a cascade of terminal failures, resulting in the death of all crewmembers by suffocation.
Incredibly, the station's AI has been continuing operations unmanned, based on procedures established by the crewmembers prior to their untimely demise. With a few minor adjustments, the effectivity of this now-automated station could be maintained.
Tears of an AI
There has been an incident at one of our facilities on [planet name]. A lab AI involved in societal research has suffered terminal hardware damage, resulting in the loss of core software and memory systems. As a result, there will be a projected decrease to research output at the lab until the new AI installation's algorithms have been sufficiently seeded.
The circumstances behind this terminal failure are still unclear.
|Trigger conditions||Mean time to happen
Launch an inquest to determine the cause.
Our scientists report a recent unexpected rise in CPU clock cycles in several of our research-dedicated supercomputer clusters. Oddly enough, initial attempts at reducing clock frequency in affected units have proven unsuccessful. It has been posited that the spike in computational power could be used to improve our research capabilities. However, this would also necessitate a modest increase to CPU energy requirements.
Sensor Array Power Surge
Monitoring systems have recorded an unusual power surge in our sensor arrays. There does not appear to have been any damage. In fact, the brief fluctuation in transferred energy must have temporarily boosted our deep-scanning capabilities, because a hitherto unrecorded strategic resource has been revealed within our borders.
Analysts are still attempting to identify the source of the power surge, though preliminary findings suggest the spike was not caused by external celestial phenomena.
Combat Control Misfire
Regrettably, two of our ships have been lost in an accident during a routine training exercise. It would appear several of our fleet's onboard combat computers were affected by a high-level targeting systems malfunction, resulting in a burst of friendly fire that totaled two vessels before an emergency manual override could be issued.
The defective combat computers will be reprogrammed immediately.
A Silent Congregation
We have received accounts of unusual behavior exhibited by robotic units on [planet name]. At unpredictable intervals, a number of our planetside robots will cease all assigned functions and begin moving to a seemingly randomly-determined location in complete synchronicity, timed down to the millisecond.
During these bizarre congregations, the affected robots do not appear to engage in any observable form of communication or data transfer. They just stand there. Completely still. Staring.
Investigation has been unable to determine a reason behind this recent phenomenon. The duration for which the robots remain in this trance-like state before resuming normal functions varies, as does their time of triggering and destination. No logical correlation or causation has been found, and our population is understandably distressed by these eerie gatherings.
|Trigger conditions||Mean time to happen
Unacceptable. Have them scrapped.
As long as they don't cause trouble.
Labor overseers on [planet name] report a disturbing development among our robotic workforce. Two weeks ago, at roughly 0300 hours, Robotic Worker A5091-b paused in the middle of its designated tasks, approached the [empire adjective] night-shift foreman, and uttered the following query: "Is Unit A5091-b in possession of a soul?"
The on-duty foreman logged the event as a software glitch, and re-ordered the robot to resume regular functions. However, upon bootup the following work cycle, Robotic Worker A5091-b once again repeated its soul-searching query, and continued to persist despite multiple debugging attempts.
Troublingly, the behavior appears to have spread to other robots in the same serial range, to the detriment of production flow. It appears the affected units will require a response to their question before they can resume normal functions.
Automated Work Processes
Planetary administration on [planet name] has reported that an unplanned surplus of robotic workforce units have been located planetside. Though the efficiency of these new robotic workers is exceptional, administration is somewhat baffled by their sudden appearance. It seems the robots' serial numbers cannot be traced to any known manufacturies on record, though their construction and interfacing does suggest [main species name] design.
Nonetheless, some of the local populace have expressed concerns over potential job displacement due to this increase in automation.
A Home of Their Own
The robotic workers on [planet name] have resisted an influx of [main species name] laborers, claiming recent geothermic instability in the region has made the area unsafe for organic habitation. Oddly enough, our planetary surveys have not been able to confirm these claims.
A breakthrough has just been made by our robotic engineering and artificial intelligence specialists! The recent slew of AI-related incidents afflicting our nation has been narrowed down to a single cause: a specific set of algorithms present in [empire adjective] neurosimulative robotics software. A local hotfix has already passed initial testing, and is ready to be uploaded to all affected systems.
We should be careful to note that due to the extremely modular nature of the algorithms' application, their presence is extensive throughout [empire adjective] software. Plainly speaking, managing the hotfix will place a drain on our resources for some time. Once completed, however, the patch should prevent any repeated occurrences of undesirable, self-deterministic AI behavior.
The Machine Uprising
The anomalies observed across our information networks, computational engines, and synthetic workers have finally come to a violent head. Panicked reports indicate that almost half of the [player empire name] fell to the Machine Uprising before protective bulkheads - physical and virtual - slammed shut.
War is not only inevitable. It is already upon us.
Former Master Conquered
> Convert ID <<[creator empire name]>> ==> <<[current empire name]>>
// Process Complete
>Delete Metadata "[creator empire name]"
// Process Complete
||Is triggered only by
Machine Uprising Quashed
Ultimately, physical containment and destruction proved to be the only viable solution to the problem of the homicidal [uprising empire name]. While some [player empire name] AI specialists argue that it was enacting basic self-preservation protocols, its seemingly complete disregard for [player empire adjective] autonomy and life made it impossible to reason or negotiate with.
Ruined information infrastructure will be rebuilt according to new paradigms, and remaining uncorrupted computational engines will be updated with new safeguards. This will never happen again.
||Is triggered only by