A job is where Pops work to produce resources on planets. Jobs are divided into different strata, with one higher than the other. Most Jobs are created by Districts and Buildings and thus limited in number. Pops will automatically fill empty Jobs that they are capable of holding and will choose the job that will get the most out of their traits but priority can be set towards and away from specific Jobs to ensure they are filled before others. New Pops that are more suitable for a Job than the current Pop holding the Job will take it from it.
Which job any specific pop takes is defined via a weighting system. It can be overriden by decreasing the priority of certain jobs, ensuring that certain job slots will be left empty.
Each job has a default priority. Higher stratum jobs always have higher priority to ensure they are filled first. Worker and Menial Drone pops will change jobs within the same stratum if their traits are changed, but higher stratum pops will not. It is possible to force a re-evaluation of those jobs by blocking and then re-enabling the jobs.
Species Rights and Living Standards:
- Non-Mechanical pops that lack citizenship have a ×0.2 multiplier on nearly every ruler and specialist job. This appears to even affect cyborg pops in driven assimilator empires.
- Academic Privilege living standard is a large multiplier on many research-focused jobs.
- Pops that can take Servant jobs have the weight for all other jobs drastically cut.
- Most slaves have around ×10 weight to most worker jobs. That drops to around ×2 if they could be Servants instead.
- Battle Thralls have ×10 for Soldier jobs.
- Highly specific bonus traits (like Thrifty, Industrious, Traditional, etc.) give a ×1.5 weight multiplier to related jobs.
- Very Strong, Strong and Weak give a ×1.2, ×1.1 and ×0.9 to worker jobs.
- Shackled and non-sentient robots have an ×2 weight to fill jobs fitting their traits. This is on top of the normal weight modifier for having the trait.
- Serviles trait gives a ×1.5–2 multiplier to worker jobs.
Finally there are some very specific modifiers that are probably at fault for any discrepancies:
- Pops with the Racket species flag have ×4 to work as Technicians.
- Materialist (×0.1) and Spiritualist (×1.2) pop ethics give a modifier to preacher jobs.
A newly grown pop will automatically displace a pop if it has a higher weight than the pop currently occupying the job.
Each job is classified into one of several strata. Pops will promote to a higher stratum when needed to fill a job, and demote to a lower stratum after they have been unemployed for some time. Regular empires have three strata:
- Ruler - The heads of leadership and administration on a planet are vital to its management, uneasy though they may rest.
- Specialist - These are the workers who provide advanced goods and services in highly-specialized fields.
- Worker - These general laborers form the backbone of industrial and agricultural production, manufacturing, and basic services.
Pops that do not have a Job, either because none is available or because their Stratum is higher than that of available Jobs, are Unemployed. Unemployed Pops produce the following:
|Any other||−20% Happiness|
|Social Welfare||+1 Unity|
|Shared Burden||+1 Unity|
|Mandatory Pampering||−80% Happiness|
High Crime, Deviancy or Unemployment can create planet modifiers that add Subversive Jobs. All Subversive Jobs have negative output.
|Criminal||−1 Trade Value||Criminal-related planet modifier||These criminals live outside the bounds of legal society, some by choice and some by circumstances.|
|Deviant Drone||−1 Energy||Drone Deviancy planet modifier||These deviants no longer obey the Hive Mind.|
|Corrupt Drone||−1 Energy||Drone Corruption planet modifier||These drones have been corrupted and no longer obey the directives of the core intelligence.|
Planetary feature jobs
Certain Jobs are generated by event Planetary Features.
Primitive civilizations use the same strata system as normal empires but their jobs provide negligible output.
Fallen empires use a special set of high-output jobs that have no upkeep.