- For instructions on how to mod, see modding
A mod (short for modification) is an alteration of the game and the objective of modding. Modifications can range from small tweaks to total conversions.
Mods can be downloaded and installed from several sources:
- Automatically using Paradox Launcher or manually from Paradox Mods
- Automatically using Steam's Client application from the Steam Workshop (Steam version only)
- Manually from User Modifications sub-forum (game registration needed)
When running Stellaris from Steam, the mod installation folder is:
From Paradox Launcher, the mod installation folder is:
~/.local/share/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris Plaza/mod/
Never install mods into the game installation directory (ie:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Stellaris\mod or
~/.local/share/Paradox Launcher/games/stellaris/mod), as the mods will not be properly loaded.
Check in the mod description the Stellaris version compatible with the version of the mod. If needed, rollback to an older patch, using “Steam Beta” tab in Steam or the “Game Settings” tab in Paradox Launcher.
In case of manual installation, the steps are usually the following (refer to specific mod instructions, if any):
- Remove any existing installation of the mod (mod folder and .mod file). This is very important, as the game loads all files present in mod folder, so old mod files that are no longer present or were renamed in a new version of the mod would conflict.
- Clear your gfx cache, by deleting the folder <stellaris_settings>\<mod_name>\gfx, if any.
- Extract the downloaded archive, so that the mod folder contains the .mod file and directory of the mod.
- Launch Stellaris and select the mod in the Mod tab. Note that the mod may have a different name in the launcher than the name of the .mod file.
For more info, see Mod structure.
Most mods are published on the Steam Workshop:
Some lists for mods to look out for:
Mods with wiki pages
- Wiki pages for modifications are the responsibility of the modification team, not the Paradox wiki team