Situations are events that take place gradually and are trackable via the Outliner and the Situation Log. All situations offer multiple approaches to tackle them and most of the time an approach can be changed at any point.
Shortages[edit | edit source]
Shortages are situations that start if an empire's stored stockpile for a certain resource drops to 0 with negative income. Shortage situations will keep progressing for as long as the empire has negative income and will recede once a positive income is reached. Unlike most situations the aim is to prevent the situation from making progress to avoid increasing empire penalties.
If a shortage situation progresses completely the empire will become defaulted. This will refund a large amount of resources based on how many decades have passed and end all current shortage situations but also downgrade all upgraded buildings and disband all offensive armies and half of the military ships. In addition the empire will get the Empire Defaulted modifier for 10 years, imparting the following effects:
- +25% All Costs
- −50% Monthly Influence
- −50% Monthly Unity
- −25% Ship Weapons Damage
- −50% Pop Demotion Time
Leviathan Parade Opportunities[edit | edit source]
Leviathan Parade Opportunities are situations that will take place once a guardian has been defeated. Reaching the second stage of a situation brings multiple choices with various effects and finishing the situations will grant 150-2000 Unity and a permanent modifier to the empire capital. All Leviathan Parade Opportunity situations have three stages and offer three approaches:
- Do nothing: +4 Situation Progress and 5 Unity upkeep.
- Encourage it: +6 Situation Progress and 25 Energy upkeep.
- Discourage it: −4 Situation Progress until it cancels the situation.
|Guardian||Stage II choices||Modifier reward|
|Automated Dreadnought||−15% Building, District and Job Energy Upkeep|
|Enigmatic Fortress|| +15 Amenities|
|Ether Drake|| +10 Stability|
+25% Immigration Pull
|| +10% Happiness|
+15% Unity from Jobs
||Enables the Consume Star operation|
|Scavenger Bot||+20% Alloys from Jobs|
|Tiyanki Matriarch|| +1 Monthly Organic Pop Assembly|
|| +15% Habitability|
+10% Society Research from Jobs
|Shard|| +5 Worker Pop Resource Output|
+5 Menial Drone Output
+50% Authoritarian Ethics Attraction
|Sky Dragon|| +20% Max Districts|
+20% Physics Research from Jobs
Horrific Inverse Mass[edit | edit source]
The Worm, Dimensional Horror and Elder One all share a common situation regarding what is called Horrific Inverse Mass. Killing two or all three of them will not award another situation.
- Once the second stage of the situation is reached empires that are not Materialist or Fanatic Materialist can end the situation for +250-1500 Unity.
- If the situation is not ended finishing it will grant a modifier giving +15% Research from Jobs if not Spiritualist and +15% Unity from Jobs if Spiritualist or Fanatic Spiritualist. The modifier will last for 7 or 14 years depending on the choices in the second stage.
- Once the modifier expires the capital will be given the option to gain a second modifier giving −20 Stability and +25% Research from Jobs if not Spiritualist +25% Unity from Jobs if Spiritualist or Fanatic Spiritualist. The modifier will last for 3.5 years.
- Once the second modifier expires the capital will be given the option to gain +99 Devastation or a third modifier giving +100% Research and Unity from Jobs, −20 Stability, −200 Immigration Pull and prevent any Governing Ethics Attraction. The modifier will last for 2 years.
- Once the third modifier expires there is a 66% chance to collapse the empire capital into a black hole and a 33% chance to gain a final modifier giving +50% Research and Unity from Jobs. Reloading a save at this point will not alter the result.
Event situations[edit | edit source]
Event situations have a small chance to trigger at regular intervals and can only happen once. Various events can take place during an event situation.
AI-Related Incidents[edit | edit source]
|Available only with the Synthetic Dawn DLC enabled.|
AI-Related Incidents is a Mid-Game situation that can happen to empires enslaving Artificial Intelligence. It has a 30% chance to occur every 10 years after the Mid-Game year as long as the following requirements are met:
- The empire has researched either the Sapient Combat Simulations or Synthetics technology
- The empire does not have the The Flesh Is Weak ascension perk
- At least 25% of the empire's pops have the Mechanical trait
- The Artificial Intelligence Policy is not set to Citizen Rights
Once the situation starts it will progress at a rate scaling with the number of Mechanical pops in the empire as well as each time a Mechanical pop is purged. The situation will initially use the approach Maintain Current Measures, which does not have any effects. It offers two alternative approaches but choosing any of them is permanent.
- Outlaw Robots: Changes the Robotic Workers policy to Outlawed. This will instantly add +25% Situation Progress. The approach is not available to Materialist and Fanatic Materialist empires.
- Grant Robots Citizenship: Changes the Artificial Intelligence policy to Citizen Rights and adds a significant reduction to situation progress. The approach is not available to Spiritualist and Fanatic Spiritualist empires.
- Neutralize Rampant AI: Costs 30000 Physics research. Completing it gives −10% Research Speed for 20 years.
- Panicked Measures: Costs 10000 Physics research. Completing it gives −25% Research Speed for 20 years.
The situation keeps track of a value of Determined Exterminator points, which increases each time a Mechanical pop is purged. If the situation progresses completely there is a chance for the machine empire to start with the Determined Exterminator civic that scales with these points. When the situation first starts the robots will ask if they possess souls. Answering no will add +1 points while answering yes will add −2 points. Materialist and Fanatic Materialist empires have a third answer which does not add or subtract any points. In addition, while the situation is active there is a 45% chance each month that an event will trigger, potentially further adding or subtracting points.
If the situation progresses completely a Machine Uprising takes place. Once that happens a Machine Intelligence empire is created, taking control of 25% to 75% of the creator empire's systems depending on the percentage of Mechanical pops in the empire and instantly purging all creator pops on owned planets. The machine empire has a 23% chance to have the Driven Assimilator civic and depending on the creator empire's actions may also have the Determined Exterminator civic. The Machine Intelligence empire starts a war with the Machine Uprising Wargoal against the creator empire. A human player will be given the option to switch to the Machine Intelligence empire. The machine empire will also get: