Spaceborne aliens are spacefaring forms of life which will likely be the first aliens that new spacefarers will encounter. Every difficulty level above Ensign increases the power of Leviathans and Marauder Empires, with the exact raised stats varying for each. Other Spaceborne Aliens are not affected by the difficulty level.
Space creatures[edit | edit source]
Space creatures are entities which may not even classify as ships or life in the common meaning of the words. They generally inhabit a certain area of space and are seldom seen away from it. Upon First Contact completion a special project will be added to the situation log, which when completed will allow an empire to deal with them in three ways:
- Researching unlocks a special project for detailed research that will grant a choice between an empire modifier and possibly a creature technology.
- Hunting will grant a +33% damage bonus empire modifier towards that type of Space Creature, and resources rewards upon killing them. If the creatures cannot be pacified the option is available to all empires, otherwise it is only available to Militarist, Xenophobe and Genocidal empires.
- Pacify will unlock a special project that costs 5000 Physics research and allows an empire to turn the space creatures non-hostile and unlock the ability to research all special components the creatures use. Only 2 of the 5 Space Creatures can be pacified. This option is available to Pacifist or Xenophile Empires. If the Galactic Community is formed the Space Amoeba pacification modifier can be offered to all members by passing the Space Amoeba Protection Act Resolution.
If killed, space creatures will slowly respawn in their home system.
|Space Creatures||Research option bonuses||Hunting||Pacifying||Type||Home System||Tactics|
|Ancient Mining Drones||Cost: 2000 Engineering research
+10% Mining Station Minerals
|Can expand||Contains 2 normal mining stations and the Home Base Ore Grinder. Each station is guarded by two fleets, one purely destroyers and one made of drones. Destroying Home Base Ore Grinder grants 4000 Minerals and 500 Alloys. If the Ancient Relics DLC is installed it also grants the Surveyor Relic.||Ancient Mining Drones use regular components. The Cutting Lasers can be salvaged.
|Crystalline Entities||Cost: 2000 Physics research
+5% Energy from Jobs
Crystal-Infused Plating tech
|Can expand||Contains Crystal Nidus, a large crystalline structure guarded by 4 elite fleets. The system can be safely explored and claimed if the crystalline entities have been pacified. As their home system has a pulsar, shields will be useless when attacking it.||
|Space Amoeba||Cost: 2000 Society research
Regenerative Hull Tissue tech
|Migratory||Always called Amor Alveo, its various celestial body deposits produce in total 8 Energy, 12 Minerals, 6 Society, 3 Exotic Gases, 3 Volatile Motes and 2 Rare Crystals.|
|Void Clouds||Cost: 2000 Physics research
+10% Physics from Jobs
|Stationary||Always called Great Wound, it is a black hole cluster guarded by 3 Void Cloud fleets. Most black holes have deposits of 4 Physics and the central one contains the largest Dark Matter deposit in the galaxy. The system should be attacked with a highly superior force due to the effects of black holes on space battles.||
|Tiyanki Space Whales||Frequency Tuning tech||Passive unless attacked||Migratory||Always called Tiyana Vek, it contains 4 Gas Giants. Each one has a deposit of 6 Society. The star itself always has a deposit of 6 Physics||Tiyanki fleets can consist of Cows, Bulls, Calves and Hatchlings. Regenerative Hull Tissue can be salvaged.
VLUUR[edit | edit source]
VLUUR is a powerful migrating Void Cloud that has around 32K Fleet Power and is armed with 8 Cloud Lighting weapons. For as long as VLUUR is in a system it will cause a storm that causes −50% Sublight Speed and −15% Fire Rate on ships. VLUUR moves to a new system every 4-7 years.
VLUUR is not hostile but can be attacked. It has powerful shields and high Evasion, but low hull, and can be defeated deceptively easily with missile weapons. Defeating VLUUR grants 100 Dark Matter, and will create various deposits of 1-3 Dark Matter on up to 4 planets in the system it's defeated in.
Bemat Thalassocracy[edit | edit source]
The Bemat Thalassocracy is a hostile fleet that can appear after the end-game year is reached. It will appear in a system owned by an empire that produces at least 180 Trade Value. The fleet is made up of the following ships:
|40 corvettes||35 destroyers||34 cruisers|
Nomads[edit | edit source]
- Nomads are replaced by Caravaneers if the MegaCorp DLC is enabled.
The Nomads, or Namarians as they call themselves, are a passive millennia old intergalactic race with no homeworld, forever traveling the void in their starships. Once they establish communications the nomads will help establish communications between any encountered empires that did not discover each other yet. They travel from system to system and their stay in the galaxy is temporary and will eventually set sail for another one. Events related to them can take place during their stay.
The date when and if the Nomads arrive is rolled at game start, with the following chances:
- 20% chance to appear after 20 years ± 500 days
- 25% chance to appear after 40 years ± 500 days
- 25% chance to appear after 55 years ± 500 days
- 30% chance to never appear
When their time is due they will spawn in a random Rim System that has no ship in it and that no empire has an intel level better than low. Upon appearing, they will decide the midpoint and endpoint of their journey. On their journey Nomads will perform an action when entering a system. Those actions depends on if the system has an owner and what the relationship with the owner is.
If the system is owned by an empire that has neither contact nor is hostile to them, they will start orbiting a random planet in the system until contact is established. The player is not capable of deciphering their communications but contact will always be established by them after 100 days. After contact is established they will send the owner a request. If they enter another system owned by the same empire they will roll for a request again. Each interaction has the following chances:
- 30% - Ask to leave some pops on an owned planet within your borders
- x0 If the system owner does not have a colonized Dry planet within borders or is a Hive Mind
- x0.75 if they already left pops before
- x1.5 if any form of Xenophile, Egalitarian or Spiritualist Empire and not already left pops before
- x0.3 if Slavery policy is set to Allowed
- 30% - Ask for a planet to settle on, forming a new empire
- 30% - Sell 5 or 15 Cruisers
- 10% - Move on with no request
If the system has no owner, and neither hostile, mid- or endpoint of their journey, they will perform a peaceful action with the following chances:
- 10% - Build new Ships
- x10 if under 3k Fleet Power
- x5 if under 5k Fleet Power
- x0 if over 10k or has the have the ship building lockout
- 80% - Pick a random planet and wait in orbit for 30–50 days. Afterwards, they have a 25% chance to move on and 75% chance to pick another planet in the system to repeat it
- x0 if less than 1.5k Fleet Power
- 10% - Move on without doing anything
While the Nomads are inherently peaceful, a fight can be picked in order to get access to their technology. Nomads are easy prey but their technology is just average by midgame, making this rarely useful. The nomad fleet consists of the following:
|20 Protectors||3 Ark Ships|
Enclaves[edit | edit source]
Enclaves are neutral NPC spawned factions. They do not own any planets, but consist of large enclave stations. They primarily exist to be interacted with via Diplomacy Menu using the "Others" filter. Each of them has two or three basic interactions, and a number of restricted interactions that can only be used after sufficient Opinion is reached.
Their maximum Opinion is 100, and an empire builds opinion with them by using their services or having starbases in their systems. +1 opinion is gained each year. This is not cumulative when owning multiple systems with the same enclave.
The primary resource for interacting with enclaves is Energy. Most actions are repeatable, but some of the actions also have an increasing cost. The price increases as an empire's population goes past certain thresholds:
During the renewal request after a modifier runs out, the player will be able to renew the deal for a sum of energy credits which scales with the number of the empire's population. With Trader enclaves you will be asked how many monthly units (of the respective rare resource sold by the enclave) you want to buy.
||Research aid||+10% Research Speed for 10 years||+20||scales with population|
|Mysteries of the Universe - not known||Adds a Leviathan point of interest to the situation log||+10||300|
|Mysteries of the Universe - how to defeat||Adds a permanent +25% Damage modifier against the chosen Guardian||+20|| Encountered a Guardian|
2000 for Hives
600 for Infinity Machine
1000 for other Guardians
|Mysteries of the Universe - how would fare||Compares the total fleet power against the Guardians
||+20|| Encountered a Guardian|
2000 for Hives
600 for Infinity Machine
1000 for other Guardians
|Establish Think Tank||Allow the construction of Curator Think Tank starbase buildings in enclave system starbases||0||50|
|Recruit scientist||Gain a level 5 Scientist with the Curator trait||0|| 50|
No Curator scientist owned
|Buy Intelligence||Gain +20 Intel on target empire||+10|| 50|
|Infinity mystery||Gain 1000-10000 Engineering research||0|| Mirror of Knowledge modifier|
Can only be done once
|L-Gates||Gain an L-Gate Insight||+20|| 5000|
Once per 10 years
Encountered an L-Gate
||Become patron||Gain the Patron of the Arts modifier for 10 years (+10% Monthly Unity). Becoming a patron also allows Patron Events to trigger:||+20||scales with population|
|Commission art piece||Gain the Exhibit Art Monument decision||+10|| 600|
Does not own 5
|Found Art College||Allow the construction of Art College starbase buildings in enclave system starbases||0||50|
|Organize festival||Gain the Festival of Worlds modifier for 10 years (+15% Happiness and +10% Pop Growth Speed). There is also a chance for one of the following to happen within the next year:
||Strategic Resource deal||Provides a unit of a rare resource for 10 years. The resource amount can be scaled up to 5 times. Resources vary based on which specific trader Enclave is encountered:||+5 to +25|| 500 per unit
10 monthly per unit
|Seek expertise||Gain an immortal level 5 Governor with the Enclave Trader trait||0|| 50|
Once per enclave
||Scrap a fleet||Disbands a fleet and gain Alloys equal to a quarter of the total construction cost
||+10|| Fleet in the enclave system
Once per 5 years
|Reclaimed vessels||Purchases 1 or 10 ships based on other empire' designs||+1 to +5|| 150 per corvette|
300 per destroyer
600 per cruiser
1200 per battleship
Once per 2 years
|Salvage some debris||Automatically investigate up to 3 debris fields in 90 days||+5|| Debris within borders|
|Engineering research||+15% Engineering Research Speed for 5 years||+5|| 20|
scales with population
|Salvage Works buildings||Allow the construction of Salvage Works starbase buildings in enclave system starbases||+10|| 40|
|Aid with construction efforts||+10% Ship Build Speed and +40% Starbase Module and Building Build Speed for 2 years||+5|| Salvage Works|
||What is to be our fate||Starts a Sign of the Visitor situation which can trigger various events or create anomalies||+10|| 50
scales with population
|Send us a teacher||Enables the Shroudwalker Teacher decision||+10|| 50|
10 per Empire Size
Can only be done once
|Insight on another empire||Starts a Shroudwalker Insight situation which will give the following reward when completed:||+10|| 20|
scales with population
Once per year
|Travel via the Shroud||Allow the construction of a Shroud Beacon starbase building||+10|| 40|
Can only be done once
Mercenary enclaves[edit | edit source]
|Available only with the Overlord DLC enabled.|
Mercenary enclaves can be created by any empire via a special fleet order as long as the empire has sufficient Mercenary Enclave Capacity. Mercenary Enclave Capacity defaults to 0 and can be obtained through the following:
- +1 from Warrior Culture civic
- +1 from Barbaric Despoilers civic
- +1 from Private Military Companies civic
- +1 from Lord of War ascension perk
- from +1 Defense Privatization resolutions 1-3
- from +2 Defense Privatization resolutions 4-5
- +2 from Naval Contractors civic
Creating a mercenary enclave requires a fleet of size 50 led by an admiral in an owned system with a moon or asteroid, 1500 Energy, 2000 Alloys and 100 Influence. Once the order is given the enclave will construct its station in the fleet's current system. Mercenary enclaves provide the following services:
- Empires can rent a mercenary fleet for 10 years and 15 Opinion for an Energy cost that scales with the enclave's opinion. The contract can be renewed at any point. Mercenary fleets are led by admirals with the Mercenary Warrior trait. If the mercenary enclave station is attacked all mercenary fleets will be recalled but their client will be refunded 3000-44000 Energy.
- Empires that have at least 20 Opinion with the enclave can pay 600, 1100 or 2000 Energy to hire 5, 10 or 15 mercenary armies and gain Opinion equal to the number of armies hired.
- Empires that have at least 20 Opinion with the enclave can buy +15% Naval Capacity for 10 years. Costs between 1000 and 5000 Energy based on current capacity and gives 15 Opinion.
- Empires that have at least 40 Opinion with the enclave can pay 1000 Energy to unlock the Mercenary Garrison starbase building and gain 15 Opinion.
The empire controlling a mercenary enclave's system, initially its founder, will be the enclave's patron. Patrons receive slightly reduced prices and if they have at least 80 Opinion with the enclave they can ask it to recall a fleet hired by another empire in 6 months. Patrons can also offer to upgrade the enclave up to 5 times, which will improve the tier of its weapons and grant 20 Opinion each time but also increase the fleet recall costs.
Mercenary enclaves build and upgrade ships the same way playable empires do, using all technologies researched by the empire that founded the enclave at the time of the founding. The enclave's patron can grant the enclave all its technologies for 1000 Energy and 15 Opinion.
Attacking enclaves[edit | edit source]
While enclaves will never become hostile to any empire except in retaliation, they can be attacked like any neutral entity. With around 10k fleet power and highest level weapons they are no easy prey. Various rewards can be salvaged from their remnants, depending on the type of enclave destroyed.
|Curator station||Artisan station||Trader enclave||Salvager enclave||Shroud-Touched station||Mercenary enclave|
|Loadout||Depends on patron upgrades|
|AI Opinion change||−15||0||−15||0||0||0|
Enclave stations do not drop debris for salvage. Attacking a Curator, Artisan or Shroud-Touched enclave will make every enclave station of the same type unavailable for trade.
Crystalline empire[edit | edit source]
|Available only with the Federations DLC enabled.|
If playing with the Void Dwellers origin (AI empires can't trigger it) then there is a 1% chance that during the mid-game a unique enclave known as the Crystalline Empire will spawn near the galactic core. Its system does not have hyperlane connections but will have a wormhole to a random system in the galaxy. Empires that are not Genocidal and did not attack them can offer to help them every 20 years to receive one of the following:
- 1 use of the Settle Crystalline Refugees decision on a Habitat for 10 years (10 Influence for 5 Pops)
- 1 use the the Crystalline Construction decision on a Habitat for 10 years (10 Influence for +8 Housing and −10% Building Cost)
- A level 7 Scientist
Destroying the Crystalline Empire enclave grants no rewards.
Enigmatic Cache[edit | edit source]
|Available only with the Distant Stars DLC enabled.|
The Enigmatic Cache, or BALDOR as it calls itself, is a tubular entity that will emerge from any Gateway or L-Gate once the mid-game year is reached if any player empire is at peace and set course for the nearest empire that is not at war. Upon taking damage to its hull it will instantly teleport away to the closest system with a Gateway or L-Gate.
Once the Enigmatic Cache enters an empire's borders it will start orbiting each one of the empire's colonies for a decade. As long as it orbits a colony it gives it a +30% Research Output modifier but also −10% Happiness to any pops with the Xenophobe ethic. The first time it happens the empire will get the option of issuing a special project to study it or leave it alone for 50 Influence. The special project costs 2500 Engineering research and finishing it refunds 90-250 Engineering research and grants an L-Gate insight. Once all colonies have been scanned the Enigmatic Cache will set course for the nearest empire and repeat the process.
After all colonies in the galaxy have been scanned, the Enigmatic Cache will go to the capital of a biological empire that did not attack it and request to uplift the main species via a special project that takes 2 years. In multiplayer the human player with the lowest Relative Power is chosen, random if tied. In singleplayer the player empire is always chosen.
If main species doesn't have intelligent or quick learners, 60 to 80 days into the project there's a 50% chance to be given the choice between aborted the uplift or inflicting the Fatigued modifier (−30% resources from jobs) on 60 random non-robotic main species pops that have one of the following jobs:
The modifier lasts until the uplift process is completed or aborted.
130 to 170 days into the project the empire will be notified that the Enigmatic Cache is deteriorating. 4 random non-robotic main species pops (with the same job restrictions as Enigmatic Dreams) gain the Vegetable modifier (−80% resources from jobs) until the uplift is completed or aborted, and the player is offered the following options:
- Abort the uplift, causing the Enigmatic Cache to teleport away and never return.
- Ignore it. Once the project is complete, the 4 pops with the Vegetable modifier gain the Unlifted trait (−60% Research), all other non-robotic main species pops gain the Somewhat Uplifted trait (+10% Research), and all of them will gain the PTSD modifier (−20% Happiness) for 10 years. The Enigmatic Cache will remain in orbit above the capital and permanently give its Research Output modifier.
- Issue a special project to repair the Enigmatic Cache with a construction ship. Once the uplift is complete, if the repair project was finished the main species will gain the Uplifted trait (+10% Researcher output and +25% Leader Experience Gain) and lose the Slow Learners trait. The Enigmatic Cache will also remain in orbit above the capital and permanently give its Research Output modifier. If any pops from the main species didn't have the Intelligent or Quick Learners trait, there's a 75% chance they gain the Ignorance is Bliss modifier (−10% Happiness) for 10 years.
Note: The traits do not give unique bonuses to leaders despite the tooltips saying they do.