I'm pretty much done with my version, and of course I anticipate differing opinions on how to write this.
So let's begin chatting about what we want to achieve for this page.
As a likely entry page for *new* players, I feel that:
- It should help new player prioritize their attention. (i.e. do not be too comprehensive by throwing too much info/options)
- It should cover all essential areas; my take: exploration, economy, research, diplo, war.
- Prepare the new player on initial challenges (i.e. expectation management).
- Be blorgly
- Great starter, Anomalacaris. I do have a remark about the interpretation of Research: the player does not "spend research points" per se but rather direct the research teams on how to invest those points.
- Following style guidelines would be great, as it would give a much more 'professional' reading imho --Spyhawk (talk) 11:57, 13 May 2016 (CEST)
Why have the diplomacy, exploration, and warfare pages been tagged 'to be merged' with this page? aantia 22:22, 12 May 2016 (BST)
- I initially thought everything was covered in other pages, but now I feel Diplomacy should be expanded and kept separate. However, Exploration and Warfare are very succinct, with all content covered elsewhere, so they'd be perfect candidate to expand the Beginner's guide itself. --Spyhawk (talk) 11:57, 13 May 2016 (CEST)
- Well I don't know. Both of these pages are just describing what to do in a specific context (exploration, and well, war), like a guide, but they don't cover game mechanics themselves. Time will tell, but I honestly don't know what to add to these pages that aren't already better covered in other pages. --Spyhawk (talk) 23:43, 13 May 2016 (CEST)
- Also, the Governance page was in a similar situation, and it got merged with Empire by someone else (which makes sense imho). --Spyhawk (talk) 23:45, 13 May 2016 (CEST)
Below is a description of rewrites, where the page has been tagged delete the comments not needed and add in any special instructions.
- Use of you/your: Please change to third person
- Links in section names: Use the
- Absence of links: Links missing or replaced by bold or italics which do not function
- Absence of SVersion tags
- Excessive length, this is a first beginner's guide and should be easy to read in one sitting.
Previous rewrite discussion
With regards to switching to third-person, what would you prefer something like this to look like "These will define the character of your empire and open or close certain gameplay opportunities to you. You will be able to select from a handful of government types based on which ethics you have chosen. Your ethics will also determine the appearance of the room behind your leader."
- We prefer the use of third person instead of you/your. So the example phrases instead become: "These will define the character of the player's empire and open or close certain gameplay opportunities to the player. The player will be able to select from a handful of government types based on which ethics were selected. The ethics will also determine the appearance of the room behind the empire's leader.". These are just a first pass and the phrasing could use further improvement. Also if you're interested in earning tickets for the contest be aware it doesn't start until Utopia/Banks is released. Signing your edits is easiest done using four tildes ~~~~. Hope this helps Dauth (talk) 15:42, 28 March 2017 (CEST)
Is it just me or do huge chunks of italicised text look almost blurry? If these blocks are for newbie info then perhaps prefix them with some sort of icon i.e. a light-bulb, something indicating ideas or help. Then just leave the text as normal. I'll see if I can find something which suits and demo on one of the paragraphs --PaulMClem (talk) 19:27, 13 April 2017 (CEST)
the GUI description is horrifically outdated
the section on the GUI includes mention of "core sector systems" which have not existed in ages, lacks the alloys and consumer goods and mentions rally points which have not existed since 2.0--Galactic Ascension (talk) 17:58, 3 April 2020 (UTC)