User talk:Blackberry Pie
When two moderators (Meneth and I) make a decision it is wise to discuss it on the talk page instead of undoing and then leaving a comment, something you've commented on. I would also remind you that text only means that phrasing is often lost so it is advisable to be careful with wording. A lot of the information is duplicated on the merge target which is why the merge was done. If you wish to add to the discussion please do so. I have redone the merge and recreated the redirect but look forward to hearing your comments against the decision. Dauth (talk) 01:04, 8 June 2016 (CEST)
- The information on that page is from(excluding some small amount of writing) at least 3 other pages on the wiki: Buildings, Traits, and Celestial body. Of those pages, Celestial body and Buildings in particular are long and image heavy, containing lots of information that is not relevant to habitability. Reducing server bandwidth by only serving the information the user wants is a good idea. If a user wants to know about habitability, they should not have to go to 3 separate pages(which they may not know contain the information they want), find the relevant sections(which may or may not be interspersed with other information), and then piece them together. Hence why I created the page. P.S. One really shouldn't remove a 7000+ byte page that clearly shows a desire to improve the wiki, without having some semblance of a discussion on the page's discussion page. It makes the person who spent the time of putting the page together feel like crap. --Blackberry Pie (talk) 01:56, 8 June 2016 (CEST)
- "Reducing server bandwidth by only serving the information the user wants is a good idea."
- Server bandwidth is a non-issue.
- The page isn't gone; it was merged with an existing one. I do see how that could be annoying though.
- Usually, our strategy is to merge first, and only split when a page gets too large.
- I'm sorry for not starting a discussion on the talk page when I added the merge tag. ~ Meneth (talk) 10:25, 8 June 2016 (CEST)
- Perhaps it is a non-issue. I suppose you would know better than most about that, being the actual wiki administrator. The habitability information on the Celestial body page was jumbled together with other information. Creating a separate page without the unnecessary information dramatically improves readability, which improves the user experience. I don't think that adding the information about the buildings and genetics to the Celestial body page the proper way forward. That said, someone merged the Habitability page into Celestial body incorrectly, specifically the table of planet modifiers, so I'm going to go fix that now. --Blackberry Pie (talk) 21:51, 8 June 2016 (CEST)