Federations is the 4th major expansion for Stellaris. It was announced on 2019-10-19 and to be accompanied by the free 2.6 patch.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. With the Stellaris: Federations expansion, players can extend their diplomatic dominion over the galaxy like never before. Use every trick in the book to gain an edge on friend and foe alike, with a host of new options to influence, manipulate, and dominate without firing a shot.
- Expanded Federations: With expanded diplomacy capabilities, players can build up the internal cohesion of their Federations and unlock powerful rewards for all members. Whether you join a Trade League, Martial Alliance, or Hegemony, membership can be extremely advantageous.
- Galactic Community: Unite the space empires with a galactic senate that can vote on a wide range of resolutions to drive legislative agendas. For example, players can pass a resolution to increase commitments to collective defense or funnel profit towards wealthy elites. Members can also sanction those who defy the community, and enact a single galactic focus. Sway the senate to position yourself as a leader, trading favors and maneuvering, doing whatever it takes to gain influence among schemers.
- Origins: Each empire has a story that shapes its path. Give your civilization deeper roots with the new system of Origins. By choosing an Origin, players can flesh out their empire’s background and alter its starting conditions. Whether it’s Void Dwellers who have abandoned their homeworld to live in perpetual orbit, or a society that worships and protects a powerful Tree of Life, you can lay the groundwork wisely for the seeds of your empire.
- New constructions: Construct glorious new projects for your empire like the Juggernaut, a massive mobile starbase that provides a moveable repair base even in enemy territory, or the Mega Shipyard, a new megastructure that can churn out fleets with incredible speed. Offering both tactical advantages and a good dose of shock and/or awe, these are sure to be an asset to any space empire.
- Main article: Developer diaries
- Patch 2.7 (Wells)
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|18||Federations is out, now what?||A mention of Tiyanki improvements in the May update.||2020-03-26|
|19||Space Fauna||Space creatures tweaks and resolutions related to them.||2020-04-03|
|20||Habitat Tiers||Upcoming changes to habitats, their districts, buildings and tech.||2020-04-09|
|21||Edict Rework||A subject dear to the hearts of many galactic rulers - namely Edicts!||2020-04-23|
|22||Federal improvements (UI and more!)||Improvements to federations for the upcoming free update!||2020-04-30|
|23||4th Anniversary & 2.7 'Wells' Update||A look at the space journey Stellaris had over the past years.||2020-05-07|
|24||DLC Visibility Experiment||Experimentation on how DLC is shown in game.||2020-05-14|
- Patch 2.6 (Verne)
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|1||Empire Sprawl & Administrative Capacity||Changes that aim to give a more important role to Empire Sprawl||2019-08-29|
|2||Origins||New dedicated background stories for your empire, derived from Civics||2019-09-26|
|3||Federation rework||Types, Perks, Laws and Internal mechanics of Federations||2019-10-31|
|4||Galactic Community||A look to its creation, Resolutions, Diplomatic weight, Favors, Galactic Council and Focus||2019-11-07|
|5||Origins Full Reveal||A list of all 18 Origins that will be present at the release||2019-11-14|
|6||Development Update||An update on performance and AI development and a tentative release window for Federation||2019-11-21|
|7||New Diplomatic Features||Envoys, Diplomacy interface, Diplomatic Stances and Favors||2019-11-28|
|8||Juggernaut & Mega Shipyard||New Spaceship and Megastructure||2019-12-05|
|9||Summary of the Year 2019||2019 journey retrospective and changes in Stellaris Dev team composition||2019-12-12|
|10||Ready for 2020!||Polish progress update and information about upcoming Q&A sessions||2020-01-16|
|11||Federation Q&A||Q&A sessions about the Federation rework||2020-01-23|
|12||Galactic Community Q&A||Q&A sessions about the Galactic Community||2020-01-30|
|13||Diplomacy Q&A||Q&A sessions about General Diplomacy, Diplomatic stances, Diplomatic Weight, Diplomatic Relations and Envoys||2020-02-06|
|14||Origins Q&A||Q&A related to Origins events, civics and Fallen Empires' Origins||2020-02-13|
|15||Performance and other technical issues||Summary of causes of performance issues and a demonstration of the improvement.||2020-02-20|
|16||Reworking the AI||A look at the AI mechanics and plans to improve it.||2020-03-05|
|17||Federations is soon upon us! (with patch notes)||Patch notes for 2.6.||2020-03-12|