This article is for the PC version of Stellaris only.
|Available only with the Utopia DLC enabled.|
This is a dimension in the Stellaris universe composed of pure psionic power. Only Spiritualist who have picked the Transcendence ascension perk can access it. It appears as a surrealistic realm, which contains many mysterious beings, including ethereal beings, a mysterious coven, and other strange manifestations.
Upon acquiring the Transcendence ascension perk, the "Breaching the Shroud" special project is activated to initiate first contact with the Shroud. It costs 5000 Society. Completion will be a first interaction with the Shroud with all options typical for an interaction. It will also add the Shroud to the diplomacy menu, to allow for future contact.
The Shroud Lobby
The Lobby has a set of 18 random texts, with a 19th for the first Visit (shroud_intro). One can only access the Lobby if the Empire does not have the shroud_cooldown or shroud_precog_cooldown modifiers.
Without said cooldowns, the only option beside leaving (no effect) is to Venture into the Shroud. Venturing into the shroud costs 1200/1000/800/600/400 energy, based on how much Zro the Empire controls (0-4). After breaching the shroud - regardless of option presented - the shroud_cooldown modifier is added for 1800 days.
Upon venturing into the Shroud, a Random "Vision" is granted to the player. Weight for the options can vary. Every option has a condition. If that condition is not met, a "Generic Vision" (utopia.3200) is granted instead. The options usually give a "chance of success", roughly separated into high, medium and low chance.
High Summon Avatar
- 35: Spawn the Avatar ship
- 35: Spawn the Avatar army
- 20: Nothing happens
- 10: Shroud Incursion
A "Corrupted Shroud Avatar" ship is spawned anywhere within the empire's borders. It will despawn automatically after 10 years.
The Corrupted Shroud Avatar is equipped with:
- 4 Medium Psionic Blast weapons (300-700 Damage, 66% Shield Damage, 67% Armor Penetration, 85 Range, 90% Accuracy, 100% Tracking,
- Basic Aggressive Computer
- T1 Thrusters
- Psi Jump Drive
- It is of the unique "Corrupted Avatar" grating it 25 Evasion, 150000 Shield, 20 Shield Regeneration, 17500 HP
Tactical: It has negligible shield regeneration, even out of combat. Low tracking anti-shield weapons can quickly disable the shield to break it. Shields are the only defense. However they also despawn after 10 years after being created, making just waiting it out viable.
Chosen one selection
Three random leaders are selected. They are assigned high, medium or low chances to succeed at becoming chosen one. The player picks one leader with chances given for success, failure and critical failure respectively:
- High - 70/20/10
- Medium - 50/30/20
- Low - 30/40/30
- Success: leader's psionic trait is replaced with chosen one, repetition of option blocked.
- Failure: leader dies
- Critical Failure: leader dies, shroud incursion.
Patron Spirit Selection
Contacting a patron spirit is a three-step process:
- Rolling on the attempt
- Rolling which patron answers
- Choosing whether or not to commit to a covenant with this patron.
If the empire has a chosen one, the highest chance to succeed appears. Otherwise the empire is randomly given a high, medium or low chance to succeed. Chances are for success/failure/critical failure: Chosen One: 85/10/5 High: 70/20/10 Medium: 50/30/20 Low: 30/40/30
Success: Random patron contact Failure: Nothing happens Critical Failure: If a chosen one exists they are killed
Random Patron Contact
The player is contacted by a random patron to form a covenant with. Denying has no consequences, but choosing one locks out the others. The chances for each covenant are:
- 25: The Whisperers in the Void
- 25: The Composer of Strands
- 25: The Eater of Worlds
- 25: The Instrument of Desire
- 2: If this is not a multiplayer game and the End of the Cycle has not yet been triggered, The End of the Cycle; Otherwise roll the previous options again without this one.
One of 9 Random texts
- High Gamble
- Medium Gamble
- Low Gamble
Gambles cause either a Boon or Curse on the selected Value Empire-wide.
Both the selection of which Gambles are available for each chance and the Rolling of said chance happens outside of moddable code. As such, no concrete data on the chances is available.
(There will be a price to pay.) - Tooltip for initiating a covenant.
5 Covenants are available: 4 "Conventional" ones and the End of the Cycle. Each conventional covenant imparts a permanent buff, but may also trigger events that are usually quite detrimental. A Gatekeeper event is used. The MTTH is 25 years, with a 10-year lockout after last triggering.
The Whisperers in the Void
Buff: +15% Research Speed, +15% Empire Influence Gain.
- 45: Random Leader with Psionic Trait acquires Substance Abuser Trait
- 25: Random Leader with Psionic Trait commits suicide
- 20: Random Planet (2+ Pops, any Psionic Pops, Not already suffering): loses one pop and acquires whisperers_madness for 10 Years
- 10: Random Planet (6+ Pops, any Psionic Pops, Not already suffering): loses 2 Pops; loses 2 extra pops for every 5 pop over 6 pops; acquires whisperers_psychosis for 10 years
The Composer of Strands
Buff: +15% Pop Growth, +20 Years Leader Life Expectancy
Event: The The species of a Random Pop with Psionic Trait is picked. The species is randomly mutated.
The Eater of Worlds
Buff: +15% Fire Rate, +30% Army Morale.
- 65: Eater is Peckish. Random Planet (2+ Pops, Not already suffering): Loses 1 Pop. Gets eater_unhappiness_planet_1 for 10 years
- 30: Eater is Hungry. Random Planet (6+ Pops, any Psionic Pops, Not already suffering): loses 2 Pops; loses 2 extra pops for every 5 pop over 6 pops; Gets eater_unhappiness_planet_2 for 10 years
- 5: Eater is Ravenous: Empire not still unhappy from previous eating. Any Planet (6+ Pops, Not Capitol, Neither Habitat nor Ringworld): Turn to shrouded world. Remove all Modifiers and Deposits. Empire acquires eater_unhappiness_empire for 10 Years.
The Instrument of Desire
Buff: +25% Energy, +25% Minerals.
- 40: Consumer Goods: Random Planet (not affected already): Get instrument_consumer_goods for 7300 days (20 years, 100 days)
- 40: Deviant Planet. Random Planet (not affected already): Get instrument_deviance_planet for 7300 days (20 years, 100 days)
- 20: Deviant Empire. Empire not affected already: Get instrument_deviance_empire for 3600 days
End of the Cycle
The End Of The Cycle is a covenant that works as an unofficial late-game crisis event that may only be summoned willingly by an Empire that has fully transcended. It has a chance to appear when trying to form a Covenant. It can be seen as a deal with the devil. It doubles the empires's power, which may allow breaking a locked situation within a 50 years window that can be used to win the game, but dooms the entire galaxy, starting with the summoner's empire.
Sealing Covenant: Acquire End of Cycle Empire Buff for 18000 days: +100% Food, Minerals, Energy, Unity, Influence, Research Speed and Naval Capacity All currently owned Planets acquire the "Shroud Marked" Modifier. All newly required planets get Shroud Marked with a MTTH of 1 month.
After 18000 days (50 years) the Reckoning:
- Subtract 50000 from Food, Minerals, Energy, Unity and Influence Storage
- Add 1000 Minerals, 500 Energy, 100 Food, 100 Influence
- A Random Colonisable Planet is picked as the "Exile World"
- Every owned Leader, the Ruler and Heir are killed
- The Population on all Shroud Marked Planets is added up to Calculate the "end_power"
- "The End" spawns at the Capital while all other planets spawn a Shroud Avatar
- Every Shroud marked World is annihilated: Habitats vanish, Ringworld segments are destroyed, Planets are turned into shrouded worlds.
- Every default empire gets a -1000 "Doomed us all" Diplomacy penalty
- The End will attack planets at random, turning them into shroud worlds
Depending on how much End Power the game summed up, The Fleet with The End will receive a massive buff:
- <200: absorbed_consciousness_1
- <400: absorbed_consciousness_2
- <600: absorbed_consciousness_3
- <800: absorbed_consciousness_4
- 800+: absorbed_consciousness_5