This article is for the PC version of Stellaris only.
|Available only with the Utopia DLC enabled.|
The Shroud is a dimension composed of pure psionic power that came into being in the beginning of time. Every psionically gifted being will have visited it at some point in their dreams, without necessarily knowing it. The Shroud appears as a surrealistic realm where the laws of nature do not apply and thus it contains many mysterious beings and strange things, including ethereal beings, a mysterious coven, illusions and other strange manifestations.
The Shroud is presented in-game as one of the main focal points of the Psionics technology branch which is accessible through the Psionic Theory technology. Only spacefaring civilizations who have picked the Transcendence ascension perk can access it.
Upon acquiring the Transcendence ascension perk, the "Breaching the Shroud" special project is activated to initiate first contact with the Shroud. It costs 50000 Society. Completion will be a first interaction with the Shroud with all options typical for an interaction. It will also add the Shroud to the diplomacy menu, to allow for future contact.
- 1 The Shroud Lobby
- 2 High Summon Avatar
- 3 Shroud Incursions
- 4 Chosen One selection
- 5 Patron Spirit selection
- 6 Random Patron Contact
- 7 Mind Invasion
- 8 Generic Vision
- 9 Gambles
- 10 Covenants
The Shroud Lobby
The Lobby has a set of 18 random texts, with a 19th for the first Visit (shroud_intro). One can only access the Lobby (and the Shroud as a whole) if the Empire does not have the "Mustering Psionic Strength" cooldown modifier.
Without said cooldowns, the only option beside leaving (no effect) is to Venture into the Shroud. Venturing into the Shroud costs 3000/2500/2000/1500/1000 energy, based on how much Zro the Empire controls (0-4). After breaching the shroud - regardless of what options are presented - the shroud_cooldown modifier is added for 1800 days.
Upon venturing into the Shroud, a Random "Vision" is granted to the player. Weight for the options can vary. Every option has a condition. If that condition is not met, a "Generic Vision" (utopia.3200) is granted instead. The options usually give a "chance of success", roughly separated into high, medium and low chance.
|1||10||First time this Option||
|2||10||Not having any Psionic Avatar Ships or Armies||
|3||10||First time this Option||
|4||10||First time this Option||
|5||10||First time this Option||
|6||10||Communication with non-Attacking Fallen Empire. Not tried this already||
60%: Steal technology from Fallen Empire (first missing tech out of the following: Living Metal Tech, Dark Matter Drawing, Neutronium Extraction, Neutronium Materials, Antimatter Power, Zero Point Power, Climate Restoration, Nutrient Replication, Applied Superconductivity ).
|7||10||Not having Psionic Shields Tech||60% Psionic Shield research option.|
On failure: Shroud Incursion.
|8||5||Not having Precognition Interface||60% Precog Interface research option.|
On failure: Shroud contact cooldown is doubled in length
|9||5||Not having Psi Jump Drives||60% Psi Jump Drive research option.|
On failure: -20% sublight speed modifier for 1800 days
|10||5||Not having succeeded already;
No Leader has Chosen One Trait
|Chosen One selection|
|11||5||Not has_shroud_patron flag||Patron Spirit selection|
|12||10||None||Get a Generic Vision|
High Summon Avatar
- 35: Spawn the Avatar ship
- 35: Spawn the Avatar army
- 20: Nothing happens
- 10: Shroud Incursion
A "Corrupted Shroud Avatar" ship is spawned anywhere within the empire's borders. It will despawn automatically after 10 years.
The Corrupted Shroud Avatar is equipped with:
- 4 Medium Psionic Blast weapons (300-700 Damage, 66% Shield Damage, 67% Armor Penetration, 85 Range, 90% Accuracy, 100% Tracking,
- Basic Aggressive Computer
- T1 Thrusters
- Psi Jump Drive
- It is of the unique "Corrupted Avatar" granting it 25 Evasion, 150000 Shield, 20 Shield Regeneration, 17500 HP
Tactical: It has negligible shield regeneration, even out of combat. Low tracking anti-shield weapons can quickly disable the shield to break it. Shields are the only defense. However, they also despawn after 10 years after being created, making just waiting it out viable.
Chosen One selection
Three random leaders are selected. They are assigned high, medium or low chances to succeed at becoming the Chosen One. The player picks one leader with chances given for success, failure and critical failure respectively:
- High - 70/20/10
- Medium - 50/30/20
- Low - 30/40/30
- Success: leader acquires the trait "The Chosen One" and loses the "Psychic" trait, this event cannot occur again as long as a leader with the "The Chosen One" exists.
- Failure: leader dies
- Critical Failure: leader dies, shroud incursion.
Note that the Chosen One trait will, if present on a ruler, be removed once the ruler steps down from power during an election and goes back to the leader pool in Democratic or Oligarchic governments (Despotic governments do not experience this as while they do have elections, those only occur upon the ruler's death, which becomes impossible if the ruler is The Chosen One). The Psychic trait is reinstated in its place and the leader becomes mortal again. This does mean, however, that the Chosen One selection event can occur again.
Patron Spirit selection
Contacting a patron spirit is a three-step process:
- Rolling on the attempt
- Rolling which patron answers
- Choosing whether or not to commit to a covenant with this patron.
If the empire has a chosen one, the highest chance to succeed appears. Otherwise the empire is randomly given a high, medium or low chance to succeed. Chances are for success/failure/critical failure: Chosen One: 85/10/5 High: 70/20/10 Medium: 50/30/20 Low: 30/40/30
Success: Random patron contact Failure: Nothing happens Critical Failure: If a chosen one exists they are killed, otherwise a random leader is killed
Random Patron Contact
The player is contacted by a random patron to form a covenant with. Denying has no consequences, but choosing one locks out the others. The chances for each covenant are:
- 25: The Whisperers in the Void
- 25: The Composer of Strands
- 25: The Eater of Worlds
- 25: The Instrument of Desire
- 2: If the End of the Cycle has not yet been triggered, The End of the Cycle; Otherwise roll the previous options again without this one.
The shroud might give you a chance to try to steal knowledge from a Fallen Empire.
On success, You will receive an advanced technology.
On failure, you will receive a -40 opinion penalty from that Fallen Empire.
One of 9 Random texts
- High Gamble
- Medium Gamble
- Low Gamble
Gambles can either cause a Boon or Curse, manifesting itself as a bonus or penalty, respectively, applied Empire-wide or simply fail to do anything at all. Boons last 5 years (until the next contact possibility).
The chances for each boon to appear are equal, but there is a 1 in 3 chance for the high boon to not get randomized again. Success chances are:
It is possible to get a "blind" gamble where any boons and curses and chances for them are not shown.
Any of the following:
- +40% Army Morale
- +0.5% Daily Hull and Armor Regen
- +30% Empire Influence Gain
- +30% Evasion
- +20% Fire Rate
- +50% Governing Ethics Attraction
- +25% Happiness
- +30% Monthly Unity
- +20% Research Speed
- +2 Sensor Range
- +50% Shield Hit Points
- -30% Ship Upkeep
- +40% Sublight Speed
- +20% Weapons Damage
- Increased Lifespan ( +40 years) trait to all psionic leaders
Any of the following:
- -20% Army Morale
- -20% Empire Influence Gain
- -50% Governing Ethics Attraction
- -20% Happiness
- -20% Monthly Unity
- -30% Pop Growth Speed
- -20% Research Speed
- -2 Sensor Range
- -20% Ship Armor
- -20% Sublight Speed
(There will be a price to pay.) - Tooltip for initiating a covenant.
5 Covenants are available: 4 "Conventional" ones and the End of the Cycle. Each conventional covenant imparts a permanent buff, but may also trigger events that are usually quite detrimental. A Gatekeeper event is used. The MTTH is 25 years, with a 10-year lockout after last triggering.
Covenants are mutually exclusive (you can only have one). Once a patron is accepted, the empire will receive the
has_shroud_patron event flag that prevents the covenant event from occurring again.
The Whisperers in the Void
Buff: +15% Research Speed, +15% Empire Influence Gain.
- 45: Random Leader with Psionic Trait acquires Substance Abuser Trait
- 25: Random Leader with Psionic Trait commits suicide
- 20: A random planet that either has more than 2 pops on it or has any psionic pops on it and is not already suffering from this effect will lose one pop and acquire
whisperers_madnessfor 10 Years
- 10: A random planet that either has more than 6+ Pops or has any psionic Pops and is not already suffering from this effect will lose 2 pops initially plus an additional 2 extra pops for every 5 pops over the 6 pop limit. Planet acquires
whisperers_psychosisfor 10 years
The Composer of Strands
Buff: +15% Pop Growth, +20 Years Leader Life Expectancy
Event: The species of a Random Pop with Psionic Trait is picked. The species will have its traits randomized.
The Eater of Worlds
Buff: +15% Fire Rate, +30% Army Morale.
- 65: Eater is Peckish. A random planet that has more than 2 Pops on it and does not already have this effect will lose 1 Pop. The planet gets
eater_unhappiness_planet_1for 10 years
- 30: Eater is Hungry. A random planet that either has more than 6 Pops on it or has any Psionic Pops on it and does not already have this effect will lose 2 pops, plus an additional 2 pops for every 5 pops over the 6 pop limit. The planet gets
eater_unhappiness_planet_2for 10 years
- 5: Eater is Ravenous: Empire not still unhappy from previous eating. A random Planet that has more than 6 pops on it and is not the Capitol, (Habitats and Ringworlds are not counted) will turn into a shrouded world. All Modifiers and Deposits on it will be removed. The whole empire acquires
eater_unhappiness_empirefor 10 Years.
The Instrument of Desire
Buff: +10% resources from Jobs.
- 40: Consumer Goods: A random planet that is not already affected by this modifier will get the
instrument_consumer_goods(+100% Food Consumption, +100% Consumer Goods Cost) for 7300 days (20 years, 100 days)
- 40: Deviant Planet. A random planet that is not already affected by this modifier will get the
instrument_deviance_planet(-100% Governing Ethics Attraction) for 7300 days (20 years, 100 days)
- 20: Deviant Empire. If the Empire is not already affected by this: The whole empire gets
instrument_deviance_empire(-50% Governing Ethics Attraction) for 3600 days
End of the Cycle
The End of the Cycle is a covenant that works as an unofficial late-game crisis event that may only be summoned willingly by an Empire that has fully transcended. It has a chance to appear when trying to form a Covenant. It can be seen as a deal with the devil. It doubles the empire's power, which may allow breaking a locked situation within a 50 years window that can be used to win the game, but dooms the entire galaxy, starting with the summoner's empire.
Sealing Covenant: Acquire End of Cycle Empire Buff for 18000 days: +100% Food, Minerals, Energy, Unity, Influence, Research Speed and Naval Capacity All currently owned Planets acquire the "Shroud Marked" Modifier. All newly acquired planets get Shroud Marked with a MTTH of 1 month.
After 18000 days (50 years) the Reckoning:
- Subtract 50000 from Food, Minerals, Energy, Unity and Influence Storage
- Add 1000 Minerals, 500 Energy, 100 Food, 100 Influence
- A Random Colonisable Planet is picked as the "Exile World"
- Every owned Leader, the Ruler and Heir are killed
- The Population on all Shroud Marked Planets is added up to Calculate the "end_power"
- "The End" spawns at the Capital while all other planets spawn a Shroud Avatar
- Every Shroud marked World is annihilated: Habitats vanish, Ringworld segments are destroyed, Planets are turned into shrouded worlds.
- Every default empire gets a -1000 "Doomed us all" Diplomacy penalty
- The End will attack planets at random, turning them into shrouded worlds until it has consumed all life in the galaxy
Depending on how much End Power the game summed up, The Fleet with The End will receive a massive buff:
- <200: absorbed_consciousness_1
- <400: absorbed_consciousness_2
- <600: absorbed_consciousness_3
- <800: absorbed_consciousness_4
- 800+: absorbed_consciousness_5